Building serial_cs.ko (PXA serial 8250 conflict)

Nathan M ngmlinux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 18:15:04 EDT 2005

Russell-

     I think I may have come across a conditional modification for
8250.c that checks for the existence of PXA serial and changes the
minor namespace range of 8250 to avoid conflict in the presence of the
PXA serial driver.
Something like the following to be added to 8250.c would prevent a
musical chairs issue with /dev/ttyS0 - /dev/ttyS2:
===code=========================
.devfs_name		    = "tts/",
  	.dev_name	    = "ttyS",
  	.major		        = TTY_MAJOR,
ifdef CONFIG_SERIAL_PXA
	.minor			= 64 + 3,
	.name_base	   = 3,
else
  	.minor			= 64,
endif
I found this complete modification at:
http://oe-devel.bkbits.net:8080/openembedded/anno/packages/linux//linux-openzaurus-2.6.11/pxa-serial-hack.patch@1.1?nav=index.html|src/packages/linux/|src/packages/linux//linux-openzaurus-2.6.11

>From what you say, it sounds like this modification shouldn't have
been necessary if the PXA team had followed the standards, however it
looks like my issue could be resolved if I made these mods?  You're
thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

-Nathan