Thinkpad X40 SD card reader

David Hinds dhinds at sonic.net
Fri Sep 17 02:38:52 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 03:27:14AM +0200, Roberto Lumbreras wrote:

> pcic_probe sees two sockets:
>
> $ pcic_probe
> PCI bridge probe: Ricoh RL5C476 found, 2 sockets.

pcic_probe is not being very smart and doesn't realize that the two
devices associated with this bridge are not both CardBus sockets.

> I'm confused... Thinkpad X31 also has Ricoh chipset, but with a Compact
> Flash card reader instead of the SD, and it seems to work ok as a
> "pcmcia socket" and ide_cs driver.

Compact Flash is essentially the same as a PCMCIA socket with a
different form factor; so for the X31, the two sockets are both normal
PCMCIA sockets as far as software is concerned.  SD is not just a
different form factor, and I don't know what the interface looks like.
Since this isn't a PCMCIA-like device, the PCMCIA subsystem isn't
directly relevant.

-- Dave