Yet More Patches

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.de
Sun Mar 14 15:11:47 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:21:33PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Russell King wrote:
>
> > I've resurected the pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk site, and put some patches
> > there.  It currently lists the "10-pcmcia" series, which represents
> > the current set of core PCMCIA patches which I want to throw in Linus'
> > direction for 2.6.5.  It combines some of Dominik's work from late
> > last year.
> >
> > For this to happen, it needs to be thoroughly tested, which means I
> > need to hear success reports.
>
> I'll try to make some testing and you'll hear from me.
>
> I see that some functions are moved to ds.c because they are only used to
> 16-bit devices.  I don't understand why it's a compelling reason to move
> code between cs.c and ds.c.  Speaking of 16-bit devices, what if we make
> this support optional?  Although it's probably 2.7 material, let's think
> about it so we can decide whether we actually want to move code now, and
> in which direction.

That's exactly part of the reason why this code is moved -- it isn't needed
for 32-bit cards, and 32-bit cards should be able to be run with no 16-bit
support built into the kernel

> It would be nice to have an option to support 32-bit cards only:
>
> CONFIG_PCCARD - support for PC Card standard
>  CONFIG_PCMCIA - support for 16-bit devices
>  CONFIG_CARDBUS - support for 32-bit devices

exactly this, even though some parts might not be able to be modularized --
so think of them as booleans...

> Each option could be set to "m", which would create 3 modules.  I
> understand that ds.c is collecting all 16-bit specific code now, so it
> would morph into the new PCMCIA module.

not it alone, but yes...

> If we are moving code between modules, it may be useful to define the role
> of those modules.

cs and friends: core [32 and 16 bit]
ds and friends: 16-bit
cardbus (and friends?): 32-bit