axnet_cs and udev

Stefan Wolf wolfs at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Mon Mar 8 19:52:46 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Russell King wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:41:52PM +0100, Stefan Wolf wrote:
> > But I still have the race condition between cardmgr and an
> > other service which both are starting my network script.
>
> That'll be a race between cardmgr and hotplug.  Hotplug now has the
> responsibility to bring up network devices, so your PCMCIA network
> script (/etc/pcmcia/network) should ignore the 'start' action.

But the stop action isn't handled by hotplug? Why is this so?
At least in my system hotplug starts the network, but doesn't stop it!

> I thought most distributions already do this.  Red Hat certainly
> do because the same behaviour exists in 2.4 kernels.

I'm running gentoo which patches the /etc/pcmcia/network script to run
their own startup scripts. If the start action should no longer be
included, then I will file a bug...

Greetings,
  Stefan Wolf <glowwormy at web.de>