pcmcia-cs 3.2.5 & linux 2.6.0-test5 "Invalid argument" problem

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Sep 24 05:37:43 BST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 fritz at reichmann.tv wrote:

> And now the problem: pcmcia-cs is not able to bind atmel_cs to the socket, according
> to the error message in syslog:
> Sep 24 09:41:02 linux cardmgr[229]: socket 1: ATMEL 11 Mbps SiteCom PCMCIA Card
> Sep 24 09:41:02 linux cardmgr[229]: bind 'atmel_cs' to socket 1 failed: Invalid

Please send the output of dmesg.  It contains kernel messages, which may
be more important than cardmgr messages.

Also, please try loading modules for both devices manually by modprobe and
then insert the cards.  I'm looking at bind_request() in
drivers/pcmcia/ds.c and it seems that EINVAL is returned if the module
cannot be loaded or locked in memory.

If you still cannot see the problem at this point, please send the output
of "cardctl info", "cardctl ident", "cardctl status" and "cardctl config"
obtained when the cards are inserted.

It's not clear from your report whether the presence of the IEEE1394
changes anything.  Please describe your experience with the 2.6.0-test5
kernel.  Your experience with 2.4.x kernel is not essential.  It's
sufficient to describe just one way to reproduce the problem, but please
describe it well.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin