AW: [CFT] 2.6.0-test7: Fix use-after-free bug in ds.

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Oct 15 19:37:11 BST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, David Hinds wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:53:19PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't see why this is a particularly useful thing.
> >
> > Simplicity of administration.
>
> I think most users will never have a use for this administrative
> capability.  Which, to me, makes it not particularly useful.

Whatever.  What is useful and what is not is very subjective.  It has been
useful for me when I was debugging the plx9052 driver, but I had to be
very careful to unload drivers in a certain order.  Fortunately, it's
fixed now.

> > If a new bridge is found
>
> What does that mean?  The only case I see this as being useful, is if
> you hot plug a new PCMCIA bridge device.  Yes that's something that
> would be useful to support; but it is a somewhat rare activity.
> Vanishingly rare.

I've heard that Orinoco USB adapters consist of a PCMCIA-to-USB bridge and
a PCMCIA card.  I don't know about USB Compact Flash readers.  Such
devices may have very limited (if any) support for unapproved cards, but
it's better to be prepared.

> > I'm subscribed to several mailing lists for wireless devices.  Hardly a
> > week passes without a post from somebody confused by the design of the
> > PCMCIA support in Linux.
>
> There are lots of things about PCMCIA that are more complex than they
> should be and that could be done differently if it were to be redone
> from scratch today on a modern kernel.  It was architected for kernels
> that were much more limited.  No one knows this better than me, since I
> have been dealing with the bug reports for 10 years.

I really appreciate it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin