Debug info for RequestIRQ: Resource in use

Adam D Bradley artdodge at cs.bu.edu
Wed Oct 8 04:16:39 BST 2003

Hi Dave,

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 01:49, David Hinds wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:05:56AM -0400, Adam D Bradley wrote:
> >
> > On my system, this block tries to grab interrupts 3, 4, and 7.
> >
> > IRQ3 already has the serial driver hanging off of it, so that fails
> > (check_irq in rsrc_mgr.c fails, thus try_irq returns CS_IN_USE).
> >
> > For IRQs 4 and 7 it's less clear to me what happens
>
> They are excluded, by default, in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, since they
> are often taken by ttyS0 and lp0.

Just tried commenting out "exclude irq 4" and all appears to be
working.  It's amazing how quickly the ten IRQ lines orinoco_cs wants
get eaten up by the ISA mask (0x0ef8), all the junk hanging off of my
PCI bus, and those exclusions.

Chalk this up as wishlist item: it would be nice if resource allocation
failures caused by such policy settings (i.e., the resources requested
by the driver are not really "in use" but are set aside by some
mechanism), as distinct from failure because the resources actually are
in use, be reported to the user as such (either by the card services
subsystem via printk() or by cardmgr to syslog).  I had presumed this
was a kernel issue since its introduction appeared (for me) to coincide
with a kernel update and its outward symptoms were indistinguishable
from those of the "forgot to set CONFIG_ISA" issue.

Many thanks,
Adam
--- Adam D. Bradley, Ph.D. --- Research Associate --- <>< ---
----- Department of Computer Science, Boston University -----
-- MCS183 -- 358-1143 -- http://cs-people.bu.edu/artdodge/ --