pcmcia/hotplug

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Dec 24 22:49:24 GMT 2003

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 02:37:38PM -0800, Jim McCloskey wrote:
> My understanding is that since this is a 32-bit controller, the pcmcia
> subsystem in 2.6.0 is *not* responsible for the card, and that I need to
> work on getting hotplug to detect it and load the necessary kernel-modules.

The PCMCIA subsystem is still responsible for detecting the card
insertion, identifying the type of the card, and if it's a CardBus
card, asking the PCI subsystem to enumerate the newly attached
device(s).

Once that's done, the hotplug subsystem will load the drivers for
those newly discovered devices.

This means that if you need to ensure that you have PCMCIA either
built in or loaded as a module, with yenta_socket, and ds.  You'll
also need cardmgr as well[1] so the situation is much like it was
in 2.4 times.

[1] actually, you strictly only need cardmgr if you're using PCMCIA
cards.  If you're only using Cardbus cards, cardmgr no longer plays
a role.  However, it's easier for the time being to just tell everyone
to run it irrespective. 8)

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/