PCMCIA problems with IXP425 and Orinoco card

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Dec 4 14:04:58 GMT 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Ognian Kabranov wrote:

> I have the following problem:    the Orinoco Gold is not recognized by
> the PCMCIA driver.
>
> When I start the PCMCIA services a module called 'memory_cs is' called,
> which obviously is a memory driver and not the
> wireless driver I wish to start.

As far as I know, this bug was fixed in the recent 2.6 kernels.  It's a
race condition, so it doesn't happen always.  See this thread:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2003-September/thread.html#232
I don't know if 2.4 kernel were affected.

If you don't want to change the kernel, you can try "cardctl eject;
cardctl insert".  If that doesn't work, you can a CIS replacement as a
workaround.  Find this in /etc/pcmcia/config:

card "Anonymous Memory"
  anonymous
  bind "memory_cs"

and replace it with

card "Anonymous Memory"
  anonymous
  cis "cis/orinoco.dat"
  bind "orinoco_cs"

If you upgrade to a recent version of pcmcia-cs, you will be able to put
this to a separate /etc/pcmcia/*.conf file without having to change
/etc/pcmcia/config.

To create orinoco.dat, insert the card into a PC, run "dump_cis -v" and
feed the output to cis2bin:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2003-November/000352.html

--
Regards,