TI yenta-alikes

Russell King rmk at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Aug 7 16:38:57 BST 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 03:00:23PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Iau, 2003-08-07 at 14:16, Russell King wrote:
> > You can do what you're suggesting as long as you take account of the
> > device itself.  However, once you've decided the device isn't setup,
> > how can the kernel determine exactly what the _correct_ setup of the
> > device is?  You can't say "well, its a PCI1031 device, therefore I'll
> > select ISA interrupt mode" because you don't know if it has been
> > wired up that way.
>
> Subvendor id I guess - and some kind of heuristic for uninitialized plugin
> cards (my guess is "PCI" if it was hotplugged).

Hopefully, but I'm not holding out that much hope for the subvendor
stuff to be correctly initialised.

At least now we have a way to find out - as of last night, Linus'
kernel will now displaying the subvendor and subdevice information
while it probes the hardware, and it has the tweaks to IRQMUX and
the the other PCI only IRQ hack disabled.  This, along with the
PNP fix from Adam should solve all the IRQ problems people have
been recently seeing.

Those which remain should be the result of missing or incorrect setup
of the multi-function pins on the cardbus bridge, and I'm hoping to
receive reports from people with cardbus sockets needing some kind of
fixing up - and these should come with the subvendor/device information
readily available. 8)

--
Russell King (rmk at arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux