planned socket driver interface change

Russell King rmk at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat Apr 26 21:21:55 BST 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 05:56:47PM +0200, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Comments?

One other thing which is related to this area.  I'd like to kill off
parse_events() and instead have a function which is called directly
from the socket driver.  This would allow us to initialise the sockets
as soon as the socket driver is loaded.

However, this would involve fixing two things:

1. Passing some structure (ie, struct socket_info_t) via this function.
   This means getting rid of the "register_callback" function and making
   socket drivers aware of socket_info_t.

2. register_callback is a fairly fundamental function for sa11xx_core-
   based socket drivers - it is this which increments the module use
   count on the appropriate real (per-platform) driver module(s).

   I'm not entralled with the idea of exporting all the sa11xx_core
   symbols just to place the pccard_operations in each module for
   module reference counting, but I don't believe there is a sane
   alternative solution.

--
Russell King (rmk at arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux