two trivial PCMCIA patches [Was: three trivial PCMCIA patches]

Russell King rmk at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat Apr 19 10:05:52 BST 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 08:46:25AM +0200, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> > release_io.diff - Fix for a very nasty bug when I/O resources are not
> > freed for sockets with static memory but relocatable I/O windows.
> > alloc_io_space() skips allocation only if both SS_CAP_STATIC_MAP and
> > io_offset are set.  But release_io_space() only checks SS_CAP_STATIC_MAP.
> >
> > I think that SS_CAP_STATIC_MAP and io_offset should be independent -
> > SS_CAP_STATIC_MAP for memory only, and io_offset for I/O only.  That's
> > what the patch does.  There are no other references to io_offset, so this
> > change of semantic (if SS_CAP_STATIC_MAP was meant to be checked) should
> > be safe.
>
> Sounds good, but I'll let Russell make this call.

Static socket resources are handled *completely* wrongly.  They're so
wrong that the best thing to do is to rip them out and let your dog
pee on them.

As for separating IO space offset vs static mapping, this will cause
major headaches for my replacement socket mapping code, which rather
spanners me for getting stuff into Linus this weekend. ;(

--
Russell King (rmk at arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux