[Linux-parport] Linux 2.4/2.6 LPT messages and Patton 2029-25M adapters

Orozco, Jose DPG jose.dpg.orozco at intel.com
Mon Jan 23 14:41:34 EST 2006

Setup:

Red Hat Linux - 2.4.20-8smp Kernel

Suse64 Linux - 2.6.4-52 Kernel

Patton 2029-25M - Parallel to Serial Adapter

Using the Patton Device, we noticed a loss of characters from the OS to a target.

Linux Source -> "LPT_Message" -> Parallel Port -> Patton 2029-25M = "P_esae" <= Received.

Notice it's only every other character that gets received by Hyper-terminal [on Windows XP].

Using the exact same Linux Source and Parallel Port and our older Parallel to Serial Converter Card...the message is received perfectly as "LPT_Message".

This leads us to between that either a) The Patton isn't configured properly for the LPT Messages coming out of Linux or b) We're doing something wrong on the receiving end configuration that is altering the message in this way.

P.S.: The patton works just fine with messages from DOS, Windows 32, Windows 64. This is not to say that Linux is the culprit, as I've said our older converter card works just fine with the very same Linux setup.

What I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced similar issues with dropping of characters or anything that I'd described above?

José L. Orozco

Processor Validation Engineer

Intel Corporation

2111 NE 25th Ave JF4-104