[Linux-parport] stand-alone ppSCSI driver suite (& Microtek ScanMaker V310 on FC3)

jmb365 jmb365 at bright.net
Tue Oct 18 10:18:49 EDT 2005

Jochen,

Thanks a lot for putting together this separate module!  For several
months I have been trying to get my scanner to work, which your module
has solved for me in a matter of minutes!

This is what I have:

1. Athlon 850 MHz, 512 MB running Redhat Fedora Core3 (stock kernel:
2.6.12-1.1372_FC3)
2. Microtek ScanMaker V310 via parallel port

Here are the steps I used:

# Check that BIOS is set for EPP mode for the parallel port
cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes    # Show the BIOS settings of
the parallel port

# I think I already had the kernel sources available (I am not sure if
they are needed, correct me if I am wrong)

wget -nd http://penguin-breeder.org/kernel/download/ppscsi-beta2.tar.gz
gunzip -cd ppscsi-beta2.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
cd ppscsi-beta2
make
chmod o+x *.ko
cp ppscsi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1378_FC3/kernel/drivers/parport/
cp onscsi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1378_FC3/kernel/drivers/parport/

insmod scsi_mod
insmod sg
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod ppscsi

# Connect the scanner to the parallel port and power it up, then
insmod onscsi

dmesg | tail
# Which shows:
# onscsi.0: onscsi 0.91 (0.92), OnSpec 90c26 at 0x378 mode 4 (EPP-32)
dly 1 nice 0 sg 16
# scsi3 : onscsi
#   Vendor:           Model: Scanner 300A4     Rev: 4.11
#   Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
# Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
# Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1,  type 0
# Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 2,  type 0
# Attached scsi generic sg3 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 3,  type 0
# Attached scsi generic sg4 at scsi3, channel 0, id 5, lun 0,  type 6

# Permit others to use these devices:
chmod o+rw /dev/sg[0-4]

scanimage -d microtek2:/dev/sg4 --mode Color > microtek.jpg    # Works! :)
xsane                                # Works! :)

I really appreciate the excellent work!  Hope this is useful for
somebody else...
Thanks
-JMB