[Linux-parport] ppa problems

Jarkko Lavinen jlavi at iki.fi
Sun Jan 2 16:53:22 EST 2005

I was unable to read files from Zip100 with ppa. When I tried to read
a file, a systematic and repeatable thread death occured with backtrace:

# modprobe ppa; mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt; find /mnt -type f -exec cp {} /dev/null \;
  show_stack
  show_register
  die
  do_page_fault
  error_code
  ppa_completion
  ppa_engine
  ppa_interrupt
  worker_thread
  kthread
  kernel_thread_helper

I have seen this with kernels 2.6.8.1, 2.6.9, and 2.6.9-rc3, but with
2.6.10 reading files seem to work again.

Did somebody fix something or is the improvement accidental?  At least
ppa.c has not changed between 2.6.8.1 to 2.6.10 which suggests the
problem is not related to ppa.

With recent kernels ppa.c won't compile if PPA_DEBUG is enabled.

Jarkko Lavinen