[Linux-parport] EPP Mode can not be activated

Matthias Färber m.faerber at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Aug 17 09:32:03 EDT 2005

Thanks for the hint.
I finally succeeded in compiling the parport drivers and now EPP is
listed in the
cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes:
PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP

But still the device controller says something like:
PHANToM failed to initialize:
Configuration Error: Check the Parallel Port EPP/ECP settings.

My dmesg output looks like this:
parport: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
parport_pc: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
parport0: PC-style at 0x278 (0x678), irq 7, dma 7
[PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP,DMA]
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
And the when initiating the PHANTOm device
ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
ppdev0: registered pardevice
*ppdev0: negotiated back to compatibility mode because user-space forgot*
ppdev0: released pardevice because user-space forgot
ppdev0: unregistered pardevice

Maybe something of this sounds familiar to anyone of you
I also tried with no dma and a bios switch to 0x378 for the io but no effect
I don´t assume that anyone here knows about the Sensable Phantom
hardware i use, but maybe I did something wrong during my compilation
processand installation process.
I did the following steps:
cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make prepare
cp /usr/src/linux-obj/i386/smp/Module.symvers /usr/src/linux/
cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/parport
make -C /usr/src/linux M=drivers/parport
make -C /usr/src/linux M=drivers/parport modules_install
mv parport_pc.ko /lib/modules/2.6.8-24.16-smp/kernel/drivers/parport/

Adam Baker schrieb:

>On Tuesday 16 August 2005 11:19, Matthias Färber wrote:
>

>>Hello everybody,
>>I´m searching for a solution to get my parport ready for the connection
>>of a device that uses EPP mode for communication.
>>
>>Does anyone have any hints to solve my problem ?
>>

>Yes,
>
>remove the chunk of code in parport-pc.c that reads
>
>        /* Check for Intel bug. */
>        if (priv->ecr) {
>                unsigned char i;
>                for (i = 0x00; i < 0x80; i += 0x20) {
>                        ECR_WRITE (pb, i);
>                        if (clear_epp_timeout (pb)) {
>                                /* Phony EPP in ECP. */
>                                return 0;
>                        }
>                }
>        }
>
>then rebuild. You don't need to install the complete new kernel, just the new
>parport_pc module.
>
>This has been discussed a few times before on the list. The consensus seems to
>be that that code prevents the detection of working EPP h/w more often than
>it detects the old buggy h/w but no-one here seems to know the right way to
>go about getting the code removed from kernel.org

Matthias Färber                 Institute of Medical Informatics (IMI)
University Hospital Eppendorf,  Martinistr. 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
m.faerber at uke.uni-hamburg.de    tel: ++49(40) 42803-7792
www.uke.uni-hamburg.de/imi      fax: ++49(40) 42803-4882