[Linux-parport] backpack cd-rewriter, Model 190127, series 6 driver ( HELP, I

John Miskinis conquestsoftware at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 15:23:32 EDT 2004

Hi Louis,

Well, I use a Backpack CD ReWriter on Redhat 9 also.  I have my parallel
port address set to 0x3bc not 0x378, although I can't remember if I had to
change it from 0x378.  I do know that I ran into problems years ago at some
address, but I don't remember the details.

I see that your kernel messages are slightly different to what I see, and
I have included them below.  Note the difference in the model number,
unit number, and 4 bit versus 8 bit.

bpck6: BACKPACK Protocol Driver V2.0.2ac
bpck6: Copyright 2001 by Micro Solutions, Inc., DeKalb IL. USA
paride: bpck6 registered as protocol 0
pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
pg0: Sharing parport0 at 0x3bc
pg0: BACKPACK Protocol Driver V2.0.2ac
pg0: Copyright 2001 by Micro Solutions, Inc., DeKalb IL.
pg0: BACKPACK 2.0.2ac, Micro Solutions BACKPACK Drive at 0x3bc
pg0: Unit: 63 Mode:0 (4-bit) Delay 0
pg0: TEAC CD-W24E, master

In any case, on the Redhat 9 system I have it connected to, I am using the
stock kernel+modules, so we should be equal in that sense.

I assume you are loading the correct modules, as the pg module seems
to be loading, and it would not, if the dependent modules were not loaded.
In case you are not, make sure you load parport, parport_pc, paride, bpck6,
and then pg or pcd.

Hope this is helpful,

John Miskinis