[Linux-parport] problems with libieee1284 on SuSE 9.1

Jochen Eisinger jochen at penguin-breeder.org
Wed Jun 16 12:51:01 EDT 2004

Hi,

several people reported the following problem with my parallel port
scanner driver on SuSE 9.1 when using libieee1284:

The driver tries to access the scanner in several modes: first using
only (read|write)_(data|status|control) and then using
epp_(read|write)_(data|addr).

while the communication works as long as only the non-epp functions are
used, as soon as the epp functions are used all ports will only return 0x00.

This is definitly not a scanner problem, become other OSs can scan with
exactly the same scanner/computer combo. However, I'm not sure whether
this is a screwed libieee1284 version shipped with SuSE or a problem
with their kernel.

Has anybody heard of similar problems? Or any other suggestions?

kind regards
-- jochen