[Linux-parport] Parallel port specific questions

Al Hooton al at hootons.org
Sun Dec 12 12:01:05 EST 2004

	Flexy,

	Take a look at parapin: http://parapin.sourceforge.net/

	It's a library, kernel module & device driver that makes it easy to use
the parallel port as a generic digital I/O device from C code, i.e.,
control pins individually to drive TTL-level circuits and retrieve
signals from them.  You can also hook an interrupt handler up to pin 11
to handle asynch situations, but that will take some kernel-level driver
work on your part to write the interrupt handler.

	As for your question regarding timing:  Are you concerned with <1ms
total latency, or <1ms accuracy between changes on multiple pins.  The
latter is definitely possible, and the former might be possible.  My
guess is that you'll have to build a customized kernel to do it, quite
probably based on one of the real-time kernel extension projects out
there.  My suggestion is to start playing with it on the system/kernel
you have now (using the examples that come with parapin, if you chose to
use it at all), hook up an o'scope, and see what you're getting on the
hardware you have.

	Warning: you will almost certainly have to do some kernel-level work to
put all the pieces together, while at the same time achieve the
performance you want.  If your UI is command-line based, a Pentium/100
will do fine.  If you are trying to have a graphical UI based on X
windows, and expect to have things in the UI respond in real-time to
signals on the parallel port, I think you're in for a rough exercise...

-Al