[Linux-parport] /dev/lp0: No such device

Sindi Keesan keesan at iamjlamb.com
Wed Aug 18 00:05:54 EDT 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I wrote to the list earlier when mdacon and parport_pc conflicted and was
> told to do:
> insmod parport_pc io=0x378
>
> This fixed mdacon.  (I did not have this problem on another computer with
> an MDA card with parallel port.)
>
> On this computer dmesg tells me:
> parport0:  PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]

> This is the parallel port in my MDA (Hercules generic) card that was
> causing the parport_pc problem in this computer (the MDA screen got
> jumbled when parport_pc probed for addresses).
>
> I have disabled the onboard parport.
>
> I try to print using:
>
> cat filename.txt > /dev/lp0
>
> It looks like something might be happening but then I just get a screen
> prompt again.

> On two other computers without MDA card, just the onboard parport,
> printing works, with both cat and ghostscript.
>
> Is there something I can do to make printing work in linux on this
> computer?  Might a different MDA card work better?

The answer is yes, this particular MGA card was the problem.  Another card
(with different io address of 3BC) printed just fine.  I still have no
idea how to get lp1 printing but changing the card should fix lp0 in
linux.  Apparently some older hardware won't work with linux.  Another MGA
card would do DOS llpro file transfer but not plip.