NVME Subsystem Reset Question

Keith Busch keith.busch at intel.com
Mon Oct 17 09:20:43 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 02:42:56PM +0000, Jeffrey Lien wrote:
> We're using the 3.10.0-493 kernel from a Red hat 7.3 Beta install.  I believe the nvme inbox driver here was back ported from the 4.5 kernel release.   I've attached the dmesg output from both the intel and western digital device.  Both are very similar if not identical.

It does appear the link is disabled when the driver's health check
runs. It may be possible it observes all 1's on a transient link state
change in the health check. I'm not sure right now of a safe way to
distinguish a permanently disabled device vs a transient condition with
the information available.

How are you sending a subsystem reset? On the Intel device, I assumed
you were using a D3600, but this looks like a P3600 based on the model
and firmware revision. That controller doesn't support subsystem reset,
so the ioctl method should have returned -ENOTTY.