Problem with new uapi header in Linux kernel 4.4+

Jan Luca Naumann j.naumann at fu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 6 08:15:04 PDT 2016

Hey,

at the moment I try to install a tool called "sedutil"[1]. The tool
manages self encrypting drives that conform to the TCG OPAL 2.0
specification.

The program uses in the current version i.a. ioctl() to communicate with
NVMe disks (see header [2] and source file [3]). The problem is that the
tool uses the no longer to the user space exported header file
"linux/nvme.h". In the new uapi header "linux/nvme_ioctl.h" are the
enumeration "nvme_admin_opcode" and the structure "nvme_id_ctrl" no
longer available that are used in the source code...

Since I do not have much experience with ioctl/NVMe and the upstream
author has no time at the moment, I want to ask you what would be the
best attempt to fix this.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Jan

[1] https://github.com/Drive-Trust-Alliance/sedutil