[RESEND]: Kernel 4.14: UBIFS+SQUASHFS: Device fails to boot after flashing rootfs volume

Pintu Agarwal pintu.ping at gmail.com
Sun May 30 19:54:49 PDT 2021

On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 11:07, Sean Nyekjaer <sean at geanix.com> wrote:
> We are writing our rootfs with this command:
> ubiupdatevol /dev/ubi0_4 rootfs.squashfs
>
> Please understand the differences between the UBI and UBIFS. UBI(unsorted block image) and UBIFS(UBI File System).
> I think you want to write the squashfs to the UBI(unsorted block image).
>
> Can you try to boot with a initramfs, and then use ubiupdatevol to write the rootfs.squshfs.

Dear Sean, thank you so much for this suggestion.
Just a final help I need here.

For future experiment purposes, I am trying to setup my qemu-arm
environment using ubifs/squashfs and "nandsim" module.
I already have a working setup for qemu-arm with busybox/initramfs.
Now I wanted to prepare ubifs/squashfs based busybox rootfs which I
can use for booting the mainline kernel.
Is it possible ?
Are there already some pre-built ubifs images available which I can
use for my qemu-arm ?
Or, please guide me how to do it ?

I think it is more convenient to do all experiments with "nandsim"
instead of corrupting the actual NAND hardware.
If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Pintu