ECC configuration of NAND from Linux (MEMSETOOBSEL)

Steve deRosier derosier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 09:34:52 PST 2018

Hi Boris,

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:24 AM, Boris Brezillon
<boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 18:41:58 -0800
> Steve deRosier <derosier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gudjon,

>> > I will have to accept that but can you please tell me how to change the
>> > ECC strength if my driver supports it? My plan is to use swupdate and
>> > update the system using an SD-card that is already installed but I could
>> > not find any reference to changing the ECC strength.
>> > I am using the Atmel SAMA5d36 CPU and Micron mt29F2G08abaeawp
>> > NAND flash.
>> >

>> I might be wrong, but I don't think there's any mechanism to change
>> the ECC strength on the fly with that processor and flash combination.
>> In order to do it, you have to adjust it in your device-tree. I went
>> through this in an upgrade scenario on a similar system a few years
>> ago and came to the conclusion that it wasn't viable. As a matter of
>> background, we had two spots on flash for the kernel (kernel-a,
>> kernel-b), and two for a rootfs that was a UBIFS (rootfs-a, rootfs-b).
>> Our upgrade procedure was to run on -a, and flash -b.  Next time, run
>> on -b and flash on -a, etc... To do it, here's what would have had to
>> be done:
>>
>> 1. Change the ECC strength in the DT, which then gets appended to the
>> the kernel image. Which means when the new kernel boots the new ECC
>> takes effect and not before. Note that the kernel that is running is
>> using the whatever ECC it was set for.
>> 2. Change our update script to _not_ write the ECC bits when it
>> flashes... this is critical.
>> 3. Now, (assuming running on -a partitions), erase kernel-b, rootfs-b.
>> Then flash the new kernel and new rootfs to the -b partitions
>> _with_out_ ECC bits!
>> 4. Reboot to -b partitions. Note that you're now running a kernel
>> supporting the new ECC layout, but without any ECC actually being
>> performed.
>> 5. Now, erase and reflash -a with the same new kernel and rootfs
>> _with_ ECC bits.
>> 6. Boot to -a. Now you're running with the new ECC layout and with ECC
>> actually being done.
>>
>> I'm going from memory, so I might have missed a step or done something
>> out of order, but you get the point. Now, why all of the above?  The
>> problem is the number of ECC bits that gets flashed is dependent on
>> the kernel running flashing it. So, having a kernel running 4 bits
>> trying to flash 8, doesn't work.  The solution is by forcing all the
>> written ECC bits to 0xffs by turing off the ECC bits when flashing
>> with nandwrite. The kernel will read and ignore ECC, no matter the set
>> strength, if there's no ECC bits set.
>
> That's not true. If you have all ECC bytes set to 0xff it will simply
> not boot (or at least it should not), because the ECC engine will report
> errors everywhere.

Well, I'm glad you say it shouldn't work that way, because I happen to
agree that it shouldn't. However, I can unequivocally confirm that on
at least one Atmel processor with one specific NAND with kernel
version 3.8, it does indeed work this way in practice. It's very clear
from the behavior that ECC-configured, but with the OOB area being
0xffs is being interpreted as "I have no ECC data, so don't bother
trying to do ECC". Now, obviously if there are bit-flips, what is read
is invalid and can cause random operations. Which, unfortunately, is
how I know what the behavior is.

I do not know if newer kernels behave this way on the platform in
question. I solved the configuration and process issues long ago and
so I never had to debug the problem on the newer 4.4 and 4.9 kernels
the product uses.

>> So, essentially, you have to
>> write the new stuff with the enhanced bits with no bits actually
>> written, in order to boot into it and then write it correctly a second
>> time.
>
> And this trick only works if your NAND supports subpage writes.

The layout of the SLC NAND doesn't allow for subpage writes. It has a
2k-byte + 64 byte OOB page, with a BS of 64 pages. Standard operation
is as expected: must erase in blocks, may program individual pages. It
is possible to choose to write the 2k byte page with or without ECC
and leave the erased 0xFFs in the OOB. This can be confirmed by
working directly with the NAND using u-boot's nand commands. The NAND
itself is non-ECC, and the PMECC controller on the processor only
handles the algorithms. So what to write, including the OOB is all
constructed in-software, written to the program page cache and then
the command to write is issued. So, even without subpage writes, it's
quite easy to write the data without writing the OOB.

And, remember - we're not writing the same page twice.  First write,
with the erased OOB, of the rootfs in this case is to mtd7, and the
second write, the one with the correct new ECC data to the OOB, is to
mtd6. Perhaps thats the misunderstanding here.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just saying what does indeed
happen on this specific platform I worked with. I shared the details
of my experience as the OP has a similar platform, but what I
experienced may or may not be applicable to his case. I wanted to
explain _why_ it is such a pain. And that changing the ECC strength
can not be undertaken lightly.

- Steve

Steve deRosier
Cal-Sierra Consulting LLC