[BUG] pxa3xx: wait time out when scanning for bb

Sean Nyekjær sean.nyekjaer at prevas.dk
Thu Nov 30 04:00:37 PST 2017

Hi Miquel
>> Yes, but i don't think the arbiter have any affect in the nand
>> controller. Bit 12 in NDCR register is marked reserved in the
>> datasheet.
> Be careful with that. I recently enabled 64-bit platforms featuring
> this NAND controller. After hours of digging because it was not
> working, I set this bit by adding this property like in any other device
> tree and it worked. I am not telling that it will solve your issue,
> mostly not, but this is something you should be careful about.
I have tried with arbiter enabled, no different behaviour observed.
>>> The nand-on-flash-bbt will read some of the last pages in you NAND
>>> chip where a bad block table is supposed to be and derive from that
>>> whether a block is bad or not. So this does only one read. I guess
>>> you should have at least one timeout there?
>> Maybe, but the flash is fine we are running a rootfs in the NAND chip.
> So you can safely use the content of the NAND chip? Without any timeout
> neither with reads nor writes? Can you try the mtd-utils from [5]:
> nanddump/nandwrite or nandpagetest?
>
> Also, can you isolate the line that produces the timeouts?
>
> [5]http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/
Yes the NAND chip is working fine and stores our data.

It is the command NAND_CMD_READOOB that causes it to timeout.

Here is a dump (booting with bbt enabled):
root at output-module:~# nanddump -oa /dev/mtd1
ECC failed: 0
ECC corrected: 0
Number of bad blocks: 0
Number of bbt blocks: 8
Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x0ff00000...
[  984.580213] pxa3xx-nand f10d0000.flash: Wait time out!!!
[  984.790195] pxa3xx-nand f10d0000.flash: Wait time out!!!
[  985.000195] pxa3xx-nand f10d0000.flash: Wait time out!!!

/Sean