UBIFS does not mount after powerfail

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Wed Nov 15 12:29:14 PST 2017

Manfred,

Am Mittwoch, 15. November 2017, 21:04:14 CET schrieb Manfred Spraul:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/14/2017 07:49 PM, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > On 11/13/2017 10:06 PM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> >> No, the image that contains the first logical error.
> >> UBIFS can mount even if there are many problems with the structure.
> >> Therefore I need you to enable chk_fs.
> >
> > Done - and I even found a 2nd instance where the image got bad:
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/calculix-rpm/files/ubifs/chk_fs/
>
> Sorry for the self-reply, I did another test:
> I applied "ubifs: replay: Detect and kill orphaned xattrs", i.e.
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/780667/.

I would be astonished if that patch would fix your issues, it is supposed
to fix a -ENOSPC problem.

> Finding 1: It does not help
> Finding 2: I get for some images lots of "UBIFS error (ubi0:0 pid
> 13670): ubifs_replay_journal: Expected ino node, got: 1/2/3"

1/2/3?

Is always "got 0xFF but expected something different"?
If so, it can be a problem with garbage collect.

> The last good image is e.g. 164908, the first image with such messages
> is 164909:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/calculix-rpm/files/ubifs/kill_xattr/
>
> And, perhaps it helps to understand the issues:
> The stress test is parallel, i.e. 4 parallel bash scripts that do
> something like "touch a b c ;rm c; mv a b;".

Hmm, nothing fancy. No O_TMPFILE, no xattr, no encryption. :-(
I hope I'll find some time during the weekend to inspect your images.

Thanks,
//richard