UBIFS does not mount after powerfail

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Sun Nov 12 11:54:03 PST 2017

Manfred,

Am Sonntag, 12. November 2017, 20:26:38 CET schrieb Manfred Spraul:
> Hello together,
>
> in a power fail stress test with ubifs, I ran into 5 images that do not
> mount:
>
> 3x ubifs_check_node() fails, called by ubifs_garbage_collect_leb()
> 2x UBIFS assert failed in ubifs_rcvry_gc_commit at 1219 (pid 9570)
> (and ~550 images with just asserts, the mount was successful)
>
> The test was done using kernel 4.14.0-rc5+ #105 SMP PREEMPT.
> The test involves create/rename/remove, using ecryptfs with xattr.
>
> Are these known issues?

Nope.
This should not happen at all. ;-(

> Are there any patches that I should apply?

No, 4.14 is recent.

> What would you need to analyze them?

Can you retry without encryptfs and xattr?
xattrs had already some issues, maybe there are more.
Just as a start to know where to start digging.

> If you need the image (~32 MB), I'll try to find a suitable server.
> Below is the dmesg output from mounting the first bad image.

An image would be good but I need one with the 1st generation error.
Can you please make sure the the UBIFS debugfs knob "chk_fs" is set?
If set, UBIFS will check the whole filesystem while mounting.

Thanks,
//richard