UBI bitrot checking and scrubbing

Stelling Carsten Carsten.Stelling at goerlitz.com
Tue Jun 27 03:59:19 PDT 2017

Hi,

I found Richard’s patches http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2015-April/058677.html or
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2015-November/063122.html, but can't identify any
of the code in newer kernel versions (e.g. 4.9 or 4.11).
I wonder, if ubihealthd http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2015-November/063128.html
was never released with mtd-utils (actually 1.5.2). Possibly, I have missed some information on
this topic.
Is there actually a comparable mechanism in UBI, I haven’t found yet?
Like wear levelling, reading and scrubbing (if necessary) *all* PEB’s from time to time is an
essential task to ensure durability of information. Especially, for PEB’s which are not accessed
frequently. With Fastmap enabled, one can't rely on cyclic reboots, because not all UBI
VID/EC headers are read at boot time.
Regarding bitrot checking, a lot of effort was made by several contributors, but I can't find
their work in mainline kernel driver code. Have I overlooked something?
Any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Carsten

______________________________________
 Carsten Stelling
F&E Hardware / R&D Hardware

GÖRLITZ Aktiengesellschaft | August-Thyssen-Straße 32 | D-56070 Koblenz
T: +49-261-9285-336 | M:  | F: +49-261-9285-190
Mail to: Carsten.Stelling at goerlitz.com | www.goerlitz.com

Vorstand | Executive Board: Jörg Figge
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates | Chairman of the supervisory board: Norbert Wagner
Registergericht | Court of registration: Amtsgericht Koblenz HRB 5346
Sitz der Gesellschaft | Registered office: Koblenz
Member of the IDS-Group

Immer up-to-date mit unserem Newsletter! Hier geht's zur Anmeldung: www.goerlitz.com/newsletter