Does XIP_MTD really exist?

Chris Brandt Chris.Brandt at renesas.com
Thu Jun 15 07:55:30 PDT 2017

In the MTD directory, there are hints that an XIP from MTD exits, but
mostly only to make code run from RAM when modifying a parallel NOR flash.

Is this code all abandoned?

Also, I don't really see of any mainline filesystem driver that would
make use of it.

Since as of v4.0, filemap_xip.c was removed (from the guys that added
DAX) which broke AXFS which I had been using.

So, now I'm trying to decide if I need to rework AXFS to work with a
mainline kernel (basically by adding filemap_xip.c back in under an fs/axfs
directory), or if there is some other obvious XIP file system method
that I'm missing.

The NO_MMU + XIP_KERNEL people must be using something for a file
system....I'm just not sure what that is.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Chris