ubiblock RW

Willy Tarreau w at 1wt.eu
Thu Mar 24 14:39:50 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 06:26:44PM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> On 24 March 2016 at 17:38, Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Am 24.03.2016 um 15:23 schrieb Ezequiel Garcia:
> >> +MTD

> >> You should be able to use mtd-utils' ubiblock tool (maybe you'll need to do
> >> some modifications).
> >>
> >> http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_ubiblock

> >> I have some devices with SLC NANDs now, but thanks for the offer.

> >> So, like I said here:
> >>
> >> http://linux-mtd.infradead.narkive.com/YF0XOFxY/block-device-emulation-on-top-of-ubi-volumes-with-read-write-support
> >>
> >> We can definitely implement write support if we have a good use case for it.
> >> Encryption might be one.
> >>
> >> Richard, what do you think?
> >
> > I'm definitely not fond of adding write support to ubiblock without turning it into a proper FTL.
> > Otherwise it will be abused and will cause serious damage.
> >

> I'm not sure this statement makes much sense without actual numbers.
>
> Of course, eraseblocks will be erased much more often with a regular
> block-oriented
> filesystem. But a user could agressively control write access and prevent this.
>
> Would it be that bad to add write support and add some big warning to
> prevent users about potential damage?

+1, we're on linux, we're supposed to let the user shoot himself in the foot
if he really *wants* to do so. But we must warn him so that it's not an
accident. There are many other ways to destroy a flash anyway, I guess that
running flash_erase in loops will achieve the same result, so we're not
protecting much against stupid actions by removing useful features and we're
only inciting users to work around them by employing possibly even uglier
solutions (FS directly on mtdblock maybe ?).

Willy