Is ubiattach alone somehow damaging a partition?

john smith wempwer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:52:17 PST 2016

On 3/9/16, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are both mtd1 and mtd2 supposed to carry UBI?
> I'm not rally sure what you are trying to do...

Hmm... probably not as kernel booting command does not contain
anything similar to this:

root=ubi:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs ubi.mtd=flash1.rootfs0

However, I just thought that I can use ubiattach to be able to mount
any given mtd device.  I was looking for a way to get access to a
currently not used mtd device.  If ubiattach is suitable for this,
then what may be?

> If you ask UBI to attach to an mtd it will write to it.

Where exactly?  In do_attach() there is only open(), ioctl() and
close() called.  Where will writing take place?
--
<wempwer at gmail.com>