UBIFS orphans and ro-mounts

Richard Weinberger richard at sigma-star.at
Wed Jul 13 05:29:54 PDT 2016

Artem,

I wonder why UBIFS processes orphan inodes also when mounting read-only.
Depending on the workload before a power cut this can take a few seconds
and since we mount read-only the updated TNC will not written back to flash,
so upon next mount the time is again wasted.

This hurts boot performance a lot on systems where u-boot loads the kernel
from UBIFS.
u-boot always mounts UBIFS read-only.
So even when Linux mounts UBIFS rw and a powercut happens orphan processing
will happen twice.

I'd suggest calling ubifs_mount_orphans() only when we mount rw or remount to
rw.
What do you think?

Thanks,
//richard
--
sigma star gmbh - Eduard-Bodem-Gasse 6 - 6020 Innsbruck - Austria
ATU66964118 - FN 374287y