Using a generic upstream driver with a custom NAND controller

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Jan 22 01:29:05 PST 2016

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, Mason wrote:

> (Maybe you can help me find convincing arguments why upstreaming is
> good. The logic around here is "the hardware is custom, no one will
> benefit from having the driver, no point in sharing".)

One way to look at is in terms of maintenance. If you do a quick and dirty
hack, it must be maintained when new kernel versions are released, i.e.
someone has to spend company time to keep the quick and dirty hack
working in the next product, and the next and the next. Since it's a hack
to start with, it's hard to predict how much time is needed.

If the driver is upstreamed and uses well-known API:s, oftentimes it can
be maintained in the ordinary course of kernel maintenence, and the impact
on company time is minimal, not to mention more predictable. True, some
changes in the framework might necessitate driver changes, but these will
mostly be much smaller than in the first case, and there will be other
drivers which have gone through the same change so you can get inspiration
from others.

/Ricard