Filesystems over UBI can't handle badblocks

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 02:49:51 PST 2016

On Wed, 2016-02-24 at 20:08 +0000, Guilherme de Oliveira Costa wrote:
> As you can see, UBI starts just fine, and I'm able to initialize
> ubiblk and at least mount the filesystem. I thought UBI was supposed
> to make any badblocks transparent to the upper layers... Is there a
> problem with that tought, or did my manual tampering (with nand
> markbad) got in the way of UBI's bad block management capabilities?

It is right that UBI makes things transparent to upper layers. However,
this is true only if you follow a set of reasonable rules, like you do
not go and change the MTD partition directly, all the changes go via
UBI.

Marking an eraseblock as bad is a change, and it should be done via
UBI, not directly via MTD.

Now, how to do it via UBI? I think this is not supported, but it can be
implemented, I believe.