Pass -EUCLEN to userspace?

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Fri Apr 22 09:11:03 PDT 2016

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 17:48:35 +0200
Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at> wrote:

> Sascha, Boris,

> >> Actually we discussed that a year ago with Richard. I told him that we
> >> should put the read/write/erase statistics at the MTD level so that
> >> other MTD users (including userspace programs) could use the same infra
> >> for non-UBI partitions (I need that for the UBOOT and SPL partitions).
> >>
> >> My suggestion was to store those information at the MTD level, and let
> >> UBI implement its own scrubbing layer on top of that, but Richard
> >> decided to go for a simpler approach for its first implementation.
>
> Yeah, I did a first implementation on UBI layer as it had everything we need
> and I didn't want to replicate UBI at MTD level.
> Another reason is that we were not sure how sophisticated ubihealthd needs to be.
>
> Sasha, what exactly is your use case and why is the UBI approach not sufficient for you?
> On Linux MTD access should only happen through UBI and UBOOT/SPL partitions stay untouched.

Fair enough. So all we'll need is a way to retrieve the maximum number
of bitflips for a given block, so that the userspace deamon can
periodically read the SPL and bootloader blocks and decide to scrub
those blocks if the number of bitflips exceed the threshold.

--
Boris Brezillon, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering