RFC: detect and manage power cut on MLC NAND (linux-mtd Digest, Vol 144, Issue 70)

Andrea Marson andrea.marson at dave.eu
Wed Mar 18 02:56:22 PDT 2015

>> 2) IIUC Boris has worked on SLC emulation too.
> No I didn't. What makes you think I did ?
My bad. I misunderstood a sentence in your slides for ELC talk :(

>> This seems to be a
>> promising feature because it would allow to partition NAND flash and to
>> create higher reliability partition (at the cost of halving the size).
>> Is it possibile to implement such functionality in software stack
>> only(MTD/UBI) or is it necessary that NAND memory supports specific
>> features?
> I guess you're talking about the slides for my ELC talk.
> Note that I'm just talking about hypothetical changes, and no
> development has been started on this topic yet.
I see.

> IIUC, you want to select SLC/MLC mode on a per-partition basis, that
> should be feasible, and this would be particularly useful for bootloader
> partitions (where UBI is not involved).
That's exactly what I was thinking about.
However it is still not clear to me how this should be implemented. I
have read a datasheet saying that "SLC mode" consists of halving block
addresses, that is higher bit of block address lines must be set to low.
I wonder if this strategy prevents paired page related issues. I think
one should work at page addressing level instead, in order to use pages
that are not paired only. Do you think it makes sense?

Andrea