UBIFS: recovery of master node

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 04:38:02 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-07-17 at 09:24 +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Am 17.07.2015 um 08:58 schrieb Andrea Scian:
> > Il 16/07/2015 17:29, Richard Weinberger ha scritto:
> > > Andrea,

> > > So, you're facing bitflips on empty space?
> >
> > Another UBI/UBIFS "implementation" question: are there some other
> > places, apart from get_master_node(), where UBIFS check empty space
> > corruption and fails badly if something wrong?
>
> Having non-corrupted empty space is a fundamental requirement of
> UBIFS.

I am not sure it is that fundamental. What UBIFS needs is to
distinguish between used and usused flash areas. It does this by
comparing agains 0xFFs. Simple, worked fine in the past.

If the space is empty, UBIFS assumes it can write to it. UBIFS is being
paranoid and also verifies that entire empty space contains all 0xFFs.
Also very simple, worked fine in the past.

Now if you have "corrupted empty space" (i.e., you cannot write to it),
this does not have to be the end of the world, you can clean it up by
doing the "atomic LEB change" operation. It is just not implemented,
but it could be done - matter of engineer-hours spent.

Artem.