Adding OTP-only device to MTD or CHAR subsystem?

Scott Branden sbranden at broadcom.com
Mon Dec 28 15:21:08 PST 2015

Greg/Brian/Arnd,

We have OTP device drivers for accessing OTP memory in our SoCs.

I looking for the right place and model to place such OTP device drivers.

1) Should we follow the bfin-otp model in drivers/char?  This doesn't
seem like the right place to put it although following the bfin example
is quite simple to implement.  We actually had a custom set of Ioctl's
that I changed to use the standard file access model used by the bfin
driver.  But a custom util is still needed to issue an OTPLOCK command.
  I'm guess mtd-utils has such abilities (or should).

2) Instead, should we start adding OTP-only drivers into the MTD
subsystem?  Onenand and CFI based MTD devices already have OTP
programmable regions.  If we created a new OTP device type in the MTD
subsystem this looks like a good thing to do.  mtd-utils could/should be
used to access the OTP device then along with standard fileio operations.

3) Or some other suggestion of where to place OTP device drivers?

Regards,
  Scott