JFFS2 vs. UBIFS compression

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Aug 21 02:00:28 PDT 2015

I came across something odd that I wasn't really expecting the other day.

On a JFFS2 file system, we have a file that is 12.25 MB in size. When
written to an 8 MB partition, df reports that it occupies 5.9 MB. Writing
a second copy of the file fails because the file system is full. Fair
enough.

On a similar UBIFS system (however in this case with a volume size of 32
MB), the same file is reported by df to have occupied 7.9 MB. Writing
multiple copies of the same file confirms that we can fit slightly more
than 4 copies of the same file on the file system (32 MB / 7.9 MB yields
4.05), so 7.9 MB seems about right.

Now I fully understand that getting df to report valid figures for
compressed file systems is guesswork at best, but don't JFFS2 and UBIFS
utilize the same compression algorithms? Consequently, the space used by
especially large files (where the overhead is small) should be essentially
the same for both file systems? If anything, one would expect that UBIFS,
being newer, would better at compression than JFFS2.

So what are we seeing here, is UBIFS more conservative in reporting disk
usage, or is JFFS2 really better than UBIFS at file compression?

/Ricard