suspect UBIFS async operations causing issues during reboot

Scott Branden sbranden at broadcom.com
Fri Nov 7 09:31:32 PST 2014

On 14-11-07 12:45 AM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Am 06.11.2014 um 22:56 schrieb Scott Branden:
>> It looks like the erase happening in the middle of reboot was uncovered in 2009 and never addressed properly?
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/6/9/16
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/12/144
>>
>> Was there a proper resolution to this issue?
>
> Did you read the threads you've posted?
>
> There two answers:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/12/143
Yes, there is no hardware solution to a reset happening in the middle of
an erase operation to NAND.

> https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/12/144
Yes, it appears nobody has ever implemented a reboot notifier in the
past 5 years to solve this problem for NAND.

We are experimenting with a notifier in UBI and MTD which is a much
cleaner shutdown than just a notifier at the MTD level.  UBI reboot
notifier priority needs to be shut down first and have a higher priority
than flash device.  Overnight results are looking promising.