Corrupt empty space

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 04:21:54 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:46 AM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-03-11 at 05:31 +0000, Kent Li wrote:
>> Frederic,
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is the unstable bit issue, but I just resolved such issue by enhancing my Nand driver in both Uboot code and Linux code.
>>
>> The main idea is:
>> Read a page
>> If ( ECC fail ) ;then
>>       Check the how many 0 bit there is.
>>       If ( 0 bit number > tolerance value) //tolerance value is depends on the ECC correctable bits.
>>               Print "Fail to recover by ECC"
>>       Else
>>               Force change the 0 bits to 1
>>       fi
>> fi
>
> Off the top of my head, this sounds reasonable. Too bad people people do
> not just go and fix this in upstream...

I have something like this locally, and Huang [1] and Pekon [2] are
both trying to implement this in their upstream drivers (incorrectly,
IMO). As we speak, I'm preparing a patch to send out that can
hopefully kill both [1] and [2]. Unfortunately, I'm discovering some
strange behavior (maybe a HW bug?) on my platform while testing...

I'll try to remember to CC all of you when I send my patch.

Regards,
Brian

[1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2014-January/051513.html
[2] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2014-January/051585.html