UBIFS becomes read-only when written, then fails to mount

Matt Hevern matt.hevern at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 06:12:04 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Tanya Brokhman <tlinder at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> On 6/18/2014 2:45 PM, Matt Hevern wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Tanya Brokhman <tlinder at codeaurora.org>
>> wrote:

>>> try adding the "-F" flag to mkfs.ubifs. let me know if it helps
>>

>> Hi Tanya,
>>
>> This issue doesn't seem to be easy for me to reproduce as it's only
>> happened to me once in over 12 months of use.
>> I don't really have any way to verify that the  '-F' space fixup works
>> or not, and i'm not sure i can use it...
>>   according to the man page kernel 3.0 is required, and ii'm running
>> 2.6.35.3.
>>
>> Is there something in the logs which makes you suspect that this
>> problem is related to the -F 'fix up free space' mechanism ?
>>
>> Matt
>>

> yes. this part:
>
> UBI: background thread "ubi_bgt0d" started, PID 492
>   ubiblka: unknown partition table
>   ubiblkb: unknown partition table
>   ubiblkc: unknown partition table
>   ubiblkd: unknown partition table
>   ubiblke: unknown partition table
> i'm working with kernel3.10 but i was having similar issues until i started
> creating the img with "-F". I don't remember the exact error i got but i
> think it was also something on mount or first write issued to device.

In my case the system had initially been running fine for some time. I
noticed the problem after a reboot, but I'm not sure exactly when it
first occured.
After this, I started the system and manually attached and mounted the
volume, which was OK.
Then a subsequent write to the filesystem triggered the errors, and
resulted in it being mounted read-only.
Later on after repeating this with logging a few times, even mounting
the volume failed.