What does oob stand for in mtd.h?

Peter Barada peter.barada at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 22:36:55 PST 2014

On 12/05/2014 10:58 PM, nick wrote:
> Greetings MTD subsystem developers,
> I am wondering what oob stands for in mtd.h as a lot of functions are using it in their names. This would greatly need in me understanding the core of this subsystem if something points out what this stands for.

"Google is your friend". :)

A search for "NAND oob" turns up multiple URLs that can shed light on
the meaning of OOB in the context of a NAND device.

But to suffice, OOB = "Out Of Band" meaning the bytes of "extra" sotrage
read/written with every page access of a NAND device (aka the "spare
area" of each page).  Usually the OOB area contains ECC bytes (to
correct the NAND in the case of a bit flip during read), and probably
metadata (used by YAFFS and other NAND-based filesystems).

--
Peter Barada
peter.barada at gmail.com