Grow UBI device?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 8 12:28:46 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm looking for a clever way to migrate devices (in the field) from
JFFS2 to UBI/UBIFS.  In the end result, I want to have single UBI
device (which covers the whole NAND chip) with several volumes used
with UBIFS.  Unfortunately I must keep some of the existing data.

It would be nice if I could start with a UBI device that is smaller
than the NAND, so I can keep an existing MTD partition with a JFFS2
file system. After copying the data from JFFS2 to a UBIFS volume, I
would like to free and reuse the space of this JFFS2 partition.

Is there a way to "grow" the existing UBI device so that it now also
covers the rest of the NAND chip?  Or is my only option to create a
second UBI device?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Unix is like a toll road on which you have to stop every 50  feet  to
pay another nickel. But hey! You only feel 5 cents poorer each time.
                 - Larry Wall in <1992Aug13.192357.15731 at netlabs.com>