[Q] Using Micron 4-bit on-die ECC with v2.6.36 kernel?

Brian Foster brian.foster at maximintegrated.com
Wed Jul 3 04:49:17 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 19-June-2013 14:40:45 David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> Attached is a patch relative to 2.6.27.y.   We use it with a 16-bit
> wide Micron part needing 4-bit ECC.  It works for us, YMMV.  I'm
> pretty sure the raw access is broken badly but we are not using that
> so it's not a problem from us.  The patch assumes that on-die ECC is
> enabled in the bootstrap loader.

David,

 Thanks!  I've been working on getting our kernel and Das U-Boot
 up to a common baseline w.r.t. the NAND-handling (including a
 on-die compatible BBT layout in the OOB and other details), so
 I had not looked too closely at your Patch until now-ish....

 In examining it, I may have spotted an oddity:  When counting
 bit-flips, you only count them in the main-data area and in
 the ECC-area (in the OOB).  What you do not count are any in
 the on-die ECC-protected bits in the OOB (which, in fact,
 happens to be all of .oobfree).

 Whilst not necessarily wrong, it does mean you may under-count
 the true number of ECC-detected bit-flips, under-reporting the
 number of corrections, and hence (inadvertently?) fooling the
 system into thinking the block is in better health than it
 really is.

 Or I may mis-understanding something here....

cheers!
	-blf-
--
Brian Foster
Principal MTS, Software        |  La Ciotat, France