Coping with multibit ECC flashes in UBI

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Dec 6 04:24:17 EST 2013

There have been SLC NAND flashes around for a while which according to
their data sheets require 4 or even 8 bit ECC (usually BCH). Traditionally
this was only the case for MLC NAND, with SLC only requiring single-bit
ECC (Hamming), and even then, bit flips were very rare.

For flashes that require multibit ECC, it's common to have single bits
which flip fairly quickly after having been written. Thus, the current
scheme in UBI of rewriting a flash block when an 'ECC corrected' status
has been returned during a read would quickly wear out certain blocks.

I seem to recall there being a discussion like a year ago about
introducing a threshold for the number of corrected bits in a page before
the containing block was rewritten, but I don't know what became of that.
Anyone who was more involved remember more?

(I was going to search the list archives, but at least the page
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/ has no search function).

/Ricard