[RFC/PATCH v2] ubi: Add ubiblock read-write driver

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Apr 19 07:57:09 EDT 2013

On Friday 19 April 2013 03:10:23 Gupta, Pekon wrote:

> > > Mmm... good input. Maybe putting write support behind a CONFIG
> > > and showing a big fat warning when the module loads will do?
> > > (something to prevent regular users from using this carelessly).
>
> [Pekon]: Permanent disabling of WRITE(s) may not be good approach.
> As it constrains you from updating on-field device remotely, especially
> when your boot-loaders are not in your control.

err, no it doesn't.  we're talking about write support at the UBI *block*
layer.  nothing is stopping you from writing to the UBI volume directly like
normal (e.g. ubiupdatevol/etc...).

the reason we're talking about not allowing write support at the *block* layer
is because it's questionable how many people actually want this, the
performance isn't good (compared to native flash filesystems), and because the
write/wear characteristics are unknown.

> [Pekon]: Other options for S/W driven Write-access-control are:

hence, these are all unrelated issues.
-mike