UBIFS Recovery Issue: 'grab_empty_leb: could not find an empty LEB'

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 08:00:06 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 08:34 -0500, Brent Taylor wrote:
> Artem,
>    I was finally able to capture the issue again with linux version
> 3.5.1, and I now have a 64MB mtd image for you to look at.  The issue
> occurred in the root filesystem this time.  Let me know what's the
> best way to get this image to you.  The image was retrieved from a NOR
> flash chip instead of a NAND flash chip, but I've seen the error on
> both which leads me to believe it's not a flash driver issue and it's
> something in the UBIFS subsystem.  If there is more data you need from
> me to help track this down, just let me know.

I've took a look. So far I do not understand what is going on. There
seems to be some bug in UBIFS. I'll try to dig deeper.

But what I've noticed that if you do this:

echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/ubifs/chk_lprops

before mounting UBIFS, then it mounts fine. If this issue is a blocker
for you, you may use this as a workaround.

Note, this enables lprops checks in UBIFS which slow it down. So you can
use this trick only to mount, and then you can write 0 to that file to
disable the checks.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy