[bug reportish] UBI_MAX_ERASECOUNTER not used consistently

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Fri Oct 5 02:57:04 EDT 2012

Hi Artem,

I normally audit for underflows and I had a question about this code.

mtd/ubi/attach.c
   665  static int early_erase_peb(struct ubi_device *ubi,
   666                             const struct ubi_attach_info *ai, int pnum, int ec)
   667  {
   668          int err;
   669          struct ubi_ec_hdr *ec_hdr;
   670
   671          if ((long long)ec >= UBI_MAX_ERASECOUNTER) {

Casting to long long doesn't serve any purpose.  We normally say that
"> UBI_MAX_ERASECOUNTER" is invalid but "== UBI_MAX_ERASECOUNTER" is Ok.
The "ec" variable is signed and negative values are missed on this
check.

   672                  /*
   673                   * Erase counter overflow. Upgrade UBI and use 64-bit
   674                   * erase counters internally.
   675                   */
   676                  ubi_err("erase counter overflow at PEB %d, EC %d", pnum, ec);
   677                  return -EINVAL;
   678          }
   679
   680          ec_hdr = kzalloc(ubi->ec_hdr_alsize, GFP_KERNEL);

regards,
dan carpenter