Regarding latest EUCLEAN/bitflip_threshold patchset

Shmulik Ladkani shmulik.ladkani at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:22:24 EDT 2012

Brian, Mike, thanks,

On Wed, 16 May 2012 11:09:21 -0700 Mike Dunn <mikedunn at newsguy.com> wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 11:49 PM, Brian Norris wrote:
> > Hmm, well 041e4575 was designed without much of a window into how
> > others really needed it, as I didn't know of others who had the same
> > features. My hardware has its own threshold features that can be used
> > to mask bitflips; it has ECC that covers OOB at the same time as the
> > page data; when reading OOB only, it actually reads the page data as
> > well, in order to perform ECC properly. So when I report bitflips from
> > read_oob, I'm reporting the bitflips for the entire page+OOB sector.
> > But due to my hardware-based threshold, this only is reported for a
> > high number of bitflips.
>

> Ha!  This complicates the issue even more, since reading the whole page *will*
> give you useful information on block wear.
>
> Based on my (admittedly liimited) knowledge, my impression is that we should
> just not bother with EUCLEAN for oob-only reads.  Reading the whole page for
> oob-only ops is a special case, and using a separate ECC scheme intended for
> oob-only does not provide useful bitflip data.

So leave-as-is seems most reasonable, given that:
- oob-only reads are not yet accounted vis-a-vis eraseblock health
- in-tree drivers' ECC doesn't cover the OOB (they don't increment
  ecc_stats on a chip->ecc.read_oob call). If they do, a supporting
  framework might be implemented
- Brian's out-of-tree driver isn't affected ;)

Regards,
Shmulik